Are you an experienced Embedded Software and FPGA Engineer looking to improve humanity’s communications infrastructure?
Joining us at Archangel Lightworks, you will be responsible for the development of Embedded Software and FPGAs for our laser communications and control systems, from architecture to implementation. You will work closely with the project lead and software lead to deliver high performance embedded systems.
Join us and you will be working with a fun, experienced, and forward-thinking space engineering team to deliver transformative free-space lasercom solutions to help solve some of Earth’s most critical problems, from economic inclusion to climate change. But that’s not all! We work extensively with aerospace primes, space agencies and specialist research partners which will provide you with exposure to cutting-edge technologies and exciting challenges, all in a fast-paced, supportive startup environment. You will be an integral part of a growing team which has already won international prizes and awards including having completed the Catalyst Accelerator which is backed by the US Air Force, Space Force and Microsoft.
You will make an impact by:
- Collaborating with our cross-functional team to develop the next generation of lasercom ground stations.
- Designing, developing and maintaining Embedded Software and FPGA designs for communications and real-time control of our ground station.
- Writing clear and concise technical documentation.
- Supporting assembly, integration and testing and in-field full system.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of development processes and tools.
- Real-Time / Embedded software development in C / C++ , with RTOS (ideally FreeRTOS) and on Linux platforms
- Experienced in FPGA development of complete systems; full lifecycle, VHDL or Verilog
- High speed (1Gbps+) comms protocol implementation experience (forward error correction, clock recovery etc)
- Experience working with networking (Ethernet and IP protocols) and hardware interfacing protocols (I2C, SPI, CAN, and EtherCAT)
Desirable Additional Skills and Experience
- Xilinx FPGA/MPSoC and associated tool chain (Vivado, Vitis etc)
- Python development, including for test scripts
- Linux systems development, Yocto Linux / Petalinux build experience
- Satcom protocol experience, particularly optical free-space comms
- Familiarity with Space related standards (CCSDS, ECSS, SDA etc)
- UML / SysML, especially with Enterprise Architect
- Matlab / Simulink, including HDL code generation
- Control systems experience
- Understanding or experience in image processing and machine vision
Location: Oxford. Hybrid with travel when required. Ideally 3-4 days per week will be in person in the office.
By joining us, you will have:
- The opportunity to make a measurable difference in a growing startup building cutting edge technology to support a world-changing vision
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you
- Merit-based compensation (salary, equity options scheme), alongside pension contribution and annual leave allowance
- Investment in you to help you grow, with training resources and budget
- A supportive team culture with high levels of ownership and responsibility
- Annual team retreat, regular socials and weekly team lunch
- A variety of additional perks including goodies, shopping discounts, learning and wellbeing app subscriptions